John Rhodes and Austin Schultz remain red-hot at the plate in 11-1 victory
LEXINGTON, Ky. – John Rhodes and Austin Schultz continued their assault on opposing pitchers and Mason Hazelwood followed a strong effort on the mound with an outstanding one as Kentucky rolled to an 11-1 victory over Norfolk State on Saturday night.
The Wildcats (8-6) piled up 15 hits by 11 different players, including the 100th of senior T.J. Collett’s career and the first of redshirt freshman Brendan Hord’s. In the seventh inning, Collett became the 53rd player in school history to reach the 100-hit mark by lining a double into the gap to drive home a pair of runs. An inning later, Hord smoked a single to centerfield in his first career at-bat to set off a wild dugout celebration.
It was that kind of feel-good night for the Cats.
Rhodes clubbed two more doubles, giving him an SEC-leading nine on the season to continue his torrid week at the plate. He has four doubles and a walk-off home run among his seven hits and has reached base safely in 10 of 15 plate appearances over the three-game span.
Schultz opened the scoring with a solo home run in the first inning as part of a three-hit night. It was fourth straight multi-hit game for the sophomore, who now has eight such outings in 14 games and is batting .404 on the season.
Hazelwood turned in seven scoreless innings, tying his career-long outing. He struck out nine and allowed just five hits, remaining in total control throughout to earn his second win of the season.
Bottom 1st – Austin Schultz homered to LF. UK 1, Norfolk 0.
Bottom 2nd – Coltyn Kessler was hit by a pitch, moved to third on Matt Golda’s double and scored on an RBI groundout by Zeke Lewis. Chase Estep singled to RF, scoring Golda. UK 3, Norfolk 0.
Bottom 6th – John Rhodes doubled to RF and scored on Kessler’s single to LF. UK 4, Norfolk 0.
Bottom 7th – Lewis singled to LF and stole second. Estep walked. Jaren Shelby singled to LF, Lewis scored. Schultz singled to LF, Estep scored. Schultz and Shelby advanced on throw home. T.J. Collett doubled to LCF, scoring Shelby and Schultz. Breydon Daniel pinch ran for Collett. Trae Harmon was intentionally walked. Rhodes doubled to RCF, scoring Daniel. Kessler grounded out, scoring Harmon and moving Rhodes to third. Golda grounded out, scoring Rhodes. UK 11, Norfolk 0.
Top 8th – Alsander Womack singled to SS. Mason Velasquez blooped a single to LF. Both runners moved up on a throwing error. Womack scored on a wild pitch. UK 11, Norfolk 1.
- This is the 11th consecutive game the UK pitching staff has struck out 10 or more opposing batters.
- UK’s seven-run seventh inning is the second-highest scoring inning of the season for the Cats.
- Senior 1B T.J. Collett lined a double into the LCF gap to record his 100th career hit. He is the 53rd player in program history to reach that mark.
- Sophomore INF Austin Schultz went 3-for-4 with two runs, two RBI and a solo HR.
- It was his fourth home run of the season.
- He now has four consecutive multi-hit games and eight on the season.
- It was his fifth multi-RBI game of the season.
- The three hits tied a career-high set earlier this season.
- Freshman INF/OF John Rhodes went 2-for-5 with two runs, an RBI and two doubles.
- It was his seventh multi-hit game of the season.
- In three games this week he is 7-for-12 with four doubles, five runs, six RBI, two HBP, a walk and a game-winning, walk-off home run.
- He has reached base safely in 10 of 15 plate appearances this week.
- Redshirt freshman catcher Brendan Hord notched the first hit of his career in his first collegiate at-bat.
- Junior LHP Mason Hazelwood earned the win on the mound.
- His final line: 7.0 innings, five hits, no runs, two walks, nine strikeouts.
- The seven innings tied his career-long outing.
The Cats return to Kentucky Proud Park on Sunday, Mar. 8 for a doubleheader against Oakland beginning at 1 p.m. ET. Both games will be aired on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.