Senior T.J. Collett drove in seven runs on the day and 13 for the week
LEXINGTON, Ky. – March 8, 2020
T.J. Collett blasted two doubles, a home run and drove in seven runs as Kentucky outscored Oakland 24-8 in a doubleheader sweep on Sunday at Kentucky Proud Park. The Wildcats improved to 10-3 on their 14-game homestand that will end Tuesday night against Western Kentucky.
Collett was at his power-laden best against the Golden Grizzlies, driving in three runs in an 11-6 win in the opener and topping that with four in a 13-2 seven-inning win in the nightcap. He scored four runs and drew a walk to cap off a week where he delivered 13 RBI and also logged his 100th career hit.
Nine different Cats collected a hit in the doubleheader and seven had a multi-hit game as they methodically pounded the Oakland pitching staff. Freshman John Rhodes – a leading contender for Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week – remained hot, while sophomore Austin Schultz put the first game away with a 413-foot grand slam. Senior Zeke Lewis had five hits in seven at-bats, senior Jaren Shelby was on the base paths all afternoon and freshmen Chase Estep (three hits) and Drew Grace (three RBI) lengthened the Cats’ lineup.
GAME ONE SCORING
Top 1st – Mario Camilletti walked, advanced to second on double steal attempt and scored on Blake Griffith’s single to RF. Oakland 1, UK 0.
Bottom 1st – Jaren Shelby doubled, moved to third on Austin Schultz’s groundout and scored on T.J. Collett’s double to LF. Oraj Anu homered to LCF, scoring Collett. UK 3, Oakland 1.
Bottom 2nd – Chase Estep and Shelby singled. Schultz walked to load the bases. Collett walked, scoring Estep. Anu hit into a fielder’s choice, scoring Shelby and moving Schultz to third. Rhodes grounded out, driving in Schultz. UK 6, Oakland 1.
Top 3rd – Cam Post doubled, Camilletti and Tyler Trovinger walked to load the bases. Griffith hit into a double play, Post scored and Camilletti moved to third. Michael Stygles singled through the left side, scoring Camilletti. UK 6, Oakland 3.
Top 5th – Camilletti walked and Trovinger singled. Stygles doubled to RCF, scoring both runners. UK 6, Oakland 5.
Bottom 5th – Matt Golda walked, Zeke Lewis singled and Shelby walked. Schultz hit a grand slam to LF. Collett homered to RF. UK 11, Oakland 5.
Top 8th – Jordan Jackson singled, Austin Higgins walked and Post singled to load the bases. Camilletti hit a SAC fly to LF, scoring Jackson. UK 11, Oakland 6.
GAME TWO SCORING
Top 1st – Cam Post singled on a pop-up that dropped in infield and Mario Camilletti doubled down the LF line. Blake Griffith reached on an infield single, scoring Post and moving Camilletti to third. Oakland 1, UK 0.
Bottom 2nd – Tanner Holen singled and went to third on Zeke Lewis’ single to RF. Drew Grace laid down a safety squeeze bunt, scoring Holen. UK 1, Oakland 1.
Bottom 3rd – Jaren Shelby and Austin Schultz walked. Shelby advanced to third. T.J. Collett singled to CF, scoring Shelby. Trae Harmon reached on an error and Rhodes was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Holen singled to SS, Collett scored. Lewis singled to RF, scoring Harmon and Rhodes. Grace singled to CF, scoring Holen and Lewis. Chase Estep singled to RF, Grace to third. Shelby singled to 3B, Grace scored. Schultz hit by pitch to load bases. Collett cleared the bases with a double to LCF. Rhodes singled to LF, scoring Collett. UK 12, Oakland 1.
Bottom 6th – Lewis singled and scored on Estep’s double to RCF. UK 13, Oakland 1.
Top 7th – Jordan Jackson, Griffin Green and Michael Chialdikas walked. Ian Cleary hit a SAC fly to score Jackson. UK 13, Oakland 2.
- The 11-run third inning in the nightcap is the highest scoring inning for UK since it plated 12 in the first inning of a 19-7 win at Vanderbilt on May 11, 2002.
- It is the second inning of at least 10 runs this season.
- The UK pitching staff had 12 consecutive games with 10 or more strikeouts that ended with game two of the doubleheader.
- Senior 1B T.J. Collett had an incredible doubleheader, driving in seven runs.
- Collett went 4-for-8 with four runs, seven RBI, two doubles and a home run.
- For the week, he had 10 hits (three doubles, three home runs), scored seven runs and drove in 13 runs in five games.
- Sophomore INF Austin Schultz went hit a grand slam in the first game.
- It was his fifth home run of the season.
- It was his sixth multi-RBI game of the season.
- He drew three walks and was hit by a pitch in the second game and drew four walks on the day.
- Freshman INF/OF John Rhodes tallied his eighth multi-hit game of the season.
- Batted .500 with a team-high 10 hits in five games for the week.
- Posted a 1.433 OPS and .850 slugging percentage
- Had five extra-base hits, including a game-winning, walk-off home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to beat Murray State.
- Helped cut down a runner trying to score by starting relay in LF for OF assist in Sunday’s nightcap.
- Senior INF Zeke Lewis went 5-for-7 with three runs, two RBI and two steals in the DH.
- Lewis had 10 hits for the week.
The Cats return to Kentucky Proud Park on Tuesday, Mar. 10 at 4 p.m. ET against Western Kentucky. The game will be aired on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.