PGA Tour set to resume on June 8th, Barbasol Championship removed from 2020 timeline
Nicholasville, Kentucky – April 16, 2020
Earlier today, the PGA TOUR released an updated schedule that does not include a date for the 2020 Barbasol Championship which had been slated for July 16-19 at Champions at Keene Trace in Nicholasville, Kentucky. The third edition of the Barbasol will have to wait till 2021.
The Memorial presented by Nationwide, held annually in Columbus, Ohio and scheduled to begin play on June 4, has been moved to the slot previously held by the Barbasol Championship.
“Since our inception in 2015 as a PGA TOUR event, the Barbasol Championship has been tied to the same week as The Open Championship,” said Tournament Director Bryan Pettigrew. “Given the unfortunate circumstances of The Open being canceled in 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic, it’s been a challenge for the PGA TOUR to find an available date for our event this year. While we’re disappointed to not be on the revamped schedule announced today, we understand the complexity of the situation. As we continue discussions with the TOUR, we would certainly consider an opportunity to host the Barbasol Championship in a safe and responsible manner if a date were to become available.”
Pettigrew indicated Barbasol Championship officials would begin working on plans for next year’s event when it returns to Champions July 15-18, 2021.
“I was really excited to defend my title this summer in Kentucky,” said 2019 Champion Jim Herman. “And while I’m sad to have to wait, I’ll look forward to returning to the Bluegrass in 2021 and playing some great golf in front of the best fans in the country.”
Pettigrew also announced the inaugural Barbasol Junior Championship, featuring the top 120 under 19 golfers in the world which was to be played at Keene Run June 29-July 2, will be pushed back to 2021 as well.
PGA TOUR FALL SCHEDULE
– June 8-14: Charles Schwab Challenge, Colonial Country Club, Fort Worth, Texas
– June 15-21: RBC Heritage, Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head, South Carolina
– June 22-28: Travelers Championship, TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, Connecticut
– July 2-July 5: Rocket Mortgage Classic, Detroit Golf Club, Detroit, Michigan
– July 6-12: John Deere Classic, TPC Deere Run, Silvis, Illinois
– July 13-19: the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide, Muirfield Village Golf Club, Dublin, Ohio
– July 20-26: 3M Open, TPC Twin Cities, Blaine, Minnesota
– July 27-August 2: World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, TPC Southwind, Memphis,
– July 27-August 2: Barracuda Championship, Tahoe Mountain Club (Old Greenwood), Truckee, California
– August 3-9: PGA Championship, TPC Harding Park, San Francisco, California
– August 10-16: Wyndham Championship, Sedgefield Country Club, Greensboro, North Carolina
– August 17-23: The Northern Trust, TPC Boston, Norton, Massachusetts
– August 24-30: BMW Championship, Olympia Fields Country Club (North), Olympia Fields, Illinois
– August 31-September 7: Tour Championship, East Lake Golf Club, Atlanta, Georgia
About the Barbasol Championship
The 2021 Barbasol Championship is a PGA TOUR event that will be played July 15 – 18, 2021 at Champions at Keene Trace Golf Club in Nicholasville, Kentucky, a suburb of Lexington. Champions is an Arthur Hills designed golf course conveniently located one hour from Cincinnati and Louisville. The Barbasol Championship provides its winner with 300 FedEx Cup Points and a two-year PGA TOUR exemption and a trip to the PGA Championship. The 2019 winner of the Barbasol Championship was Jim Herman.