Connect with us




EKU Colonels

MUNCIE, Ind. – Five Colonels scored in double figures, but the Eastern Kentucky University men’s basketball team fell at Ball State, 91-86, in overtime on Saturday afternoon at Worthen Arena.

The loss snaps EKU’s four-game winning streak.

Freshman guard Asante Gist led the way for Eastern for the second consecutive game, scoring 19 points and dishing out four assists. Sophomore forward Nick Mayo, meanwhile, scored 17 points and pulled down six boards.

Three Colonels recorded career highs in points. Junior guard Dillon Avare knocked down five three pointers to finish with 15 points. Freshman forward DeAndre Dishman tallied 12 points and six rebounds. Freshman forward Marlon Adams – making his second consecutive start – had 11 points and five rebounds.

Senior guard Isaac McGlone notched a career-high nine assists in the loss.

EKU (6-5) took the lead, 85-84, on a Mayo jumper with 2:25 to play in overtime; however Ball State (6-4) closed out the game on a 7-1 run to seal the victory.

The back-and-forth affair featured nine ties and 10 lead changes.

Neither team led by more than four points during the second half. EKU’s four-point lead came when a layup by Mayo made it 54-50 with 13:54 to play.

BSU clawed back and grabbed a four-point advantage, 76-72, when Ryan Weber converted a layup with 2:31 remaining in regulation. A three-pointer by Gist on EKU’s ensuing possession slashed the lead to one and a triple from the corner by Avare with 1:16 on the clock tied it up, 78-78.

With the game still tied at 78-78, Gist went for a steal and fouled BSU’s leading scorer, Tayler Persons, with three seconds remaining. Persons, however, missed both free throw attempts to send the game into overtime.

Ball State ran out to an early five point lead in the game, as a three-pointer from Francis Kiapway made it 25-20 with 8:18 remaining in the first half. The Colonels, however, responded with a 15-4 run and took their largest lead of the day, 35-29, following a pair of free throws by Mayo with 4:52 on the clock.

A layup by Franko House just before the buzzer cut EKU’s lead to three, 43-40, at halftime.

EKU was out-rebounded, 47-36. It was the first time the Colonels have been out-rebounded since their game at Texas Tech on November 19.

Mayo, Dishman and Adams powered EKU to a 38-28 points advantage in the paint.

EKU will have finals week off before returning to action at Louisville on Saturday, December 17. Tip from the Yum! Center is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.

Sponsored By

More in Headlines