RICHMOND, Ky. – EKU football will host its first home game of the 2023 season on Saturday night when the Colonels battle Western Carolina at CG Bank Field at Roy Kidd Stadium.
The game will air on ESPN+ with kickoff scheduled for 6:00 p.m. Greg Stotelmyer will handle play-by-play duties with Jim Tirey serving as the analyst and Wes Chandler working as the sideline reporter. The audio broadcast will also be simulcast in the Richmond area on WCYO 100.7 FM, and can be heard worldwide on EKUSports.com
INSIDE THE SERIES
– This is the eighth meeting between the Colonels and Catamounts.
– Saturday marks the third meeting between the two teams in the last four seasons.
– EKU has won each of the last two meetings in the series, including a 31-28 win in Cullowhee in 2021.
– EKU is entering its 55th season playing its home game at CG Bank Field at Roy Kidd Stadium. Since 1969, the Colonels have compiled a 239-64-1 record at home, including 15 unbeaten campaigns.
– The Colonels are 73-26-6 all-time in home openers and own a 45-8 record in home openers played at CG Bank Field at Roy Kidd Stadium. Dating back to 2009, the Colonels have won 12 of their previous 14 home openers.
– Through the first two games of the season, EKU boasts a perfect scoring rate in the red zone. EKU has scored on all five of its red zone trips so far this season.
– EKU is coming off a 28-17 loss at SEC foe Kentucky.
– Parker McKinney threw for 219 yards against the Wildcats to become the first Colonel quarterback to ever throw for 10,000 career yards. .
– Logan Blake has recorded double-digit tackles in each of his first two games with EKU, tallying 10 tackles against both Cincinnati and Kentucky.
– Cornelius Evans blocked a punt on Saturday against Kentucky, becoming the first Colonel to do so since Darien Tipps-Clemons on Nov. 10, 2018 against Robert Morris.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Western Carolina is coming off a 30-7 win over then-No. 8 Samford last Saturday
– Wide receiver Vinson Davis made nine catches for 35 yards against the Wolfpack.
– Running back Desmond Reid rushed for 170 yards in the win over Samford, coming five yards short of tying his career high and earning SoCon Offensive Player of the Week honors.
– Wide receiver A.J. Colombo had his best day as a Catamount last weekend, catching five passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, all career highs.
– Linebacker Jayelin Davis notched four tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss, and a fumble recovery in the victory.
– The Catamounts were chosen as the FedEx Ground FCS National Team of the Week following the win over Samford.